Glanton is a small community in the foothills of the Cheviots in North Northumberland. Built on a south facing spur of Glanton Hill at an elevation of about 1500 feet the village has a superb range of views across the Vale of Whittingham, framed by the Cheviots to the north, Simonside to the south and the Otterburn Moors to the West.
There is no industry as such other than agriculture but quite a few businesses operate from home offices and kitchen tables.
The parish comprises about 140 dwellings housing around 200 souls. We have a thriving pub the Queens Head, we have a part-time shop/newsagent and Sub Post Office, a village Hall, and a church (URC but with Church of England services too) with its own associated hall. Much of the village is designated as a conservation area and there are many listed buildings.
Local shops are available in Wooler, Alnwick and Rothbury, each approx 10 miles distant.
The village is mainly populated by full time residents but there are a handful of second homes and three or four holiday cottages.
We also have a pole on the top of Glanton Hill, its origins are now lost, but it bears a brass plaque commemorating Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897 as well as plaques for Queen Elizabeth’s Silver and Diamond Jubilees. It was replaced in 2012 and the village is very proud of it.
The annual Glanton Show is a major event involving most of the village as well as pulling in tourists and residents from all around.
Link to Google Maps
In 2001, following the Millennium celebrations, Glanton Parish Council published a limited edition book entitled 'Glanton - A Village Chronicle'. This was a very considerable undertaking by a number of hardworking members of the village community and resulted in not only a very interesting snapshot of village life at the turn of the millennium but also a very detailed history of the village and it's architecture over the previous centuries. The book also contained interesting and comprehensive chapters on the nature and geology of the area.
As the book is currently the best source of information about the village and it's history, selected chapters have been included on this page.
You will need to have Adobe Reader installed on your computer to view the chapters. Click here to download the latest free version.
Right: Glanton circa 1880.
Below: Glanton 2009.
GLANTON - A Village Chronicle.
These are large files and will take time to download
Please note that in each document the first page is blank and the text starts on page 2
'Glanton Parish History' by John Swanson. Click here. (4.77Mb)
'Architectural Heritage' by Vernon Thomas. Click here. (13.80Mb)
'Wildlife Diary' and 'Geology' by George Dodds and John Swanson. Click here. (2.76Mb)
Further interesting and detailed information about the area and Northumberland and Durham in general, can be found at 'Keys to the Past'